Good Morning! It’s been a couple of days since I last posted and I’m so sorry about that! I know I was supposed to post on Friday but I was kind of having high anxiety from hearing all the news about Hurricane Harvey coming into Texas. I had to prepare and kind of forgot about everything outside of safety. Since then Hurricane Harvey has come and gone and so much has happened. I’m here to share the hope and light that is shedding after the storm.
I won’t go over everything that has happened since you can find more than plenty of stories from the media or on your local news. Instead I wanted to share some light and make peace with the what has happened. It’s been a rough week for Texans and everyone has a story to share. I’ve read so many stories and seen some of the toughest things but there is one thing that I noticed in all this. Hope. The hope that everyone has and the light that has come out of all this.
Yes, everything that has happened is very sad. It’s tragic and my prayers go out to all the families, friends, pets, etc. I’ve lived in Houston all my life and I’ve never seen anything even close to this. But the way the community and the outreach from many people have all come together is beyond inspirational. People have been helping each other and making sure that everyone is getting where they need to be safely. There has been a huge outpour of people volunteering and donating clothing and goods to everyone who has been displaced.
Houston is currently experiencing a hard time but that doesn’t mean we aren’t fighters and we won’t bounce back. I’m so proud of my community and continue to see and read the most heroic and encouraging stories. I can say that I am safe and my family and friends are as well. For everything else, it doesn’t matter. I’ve never felt stronger with my family and friends and can’t wait to help my fellow Texans.
For those of you who would like to help or donate here are a couple of ways:
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund-GHCF: https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
- Houston Food Bank: http://www.houstonfoodbank.org
- Houston Humane Society: https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)/giving/general-donation
- Corpus Christi Food Bank: http://www.foodbankcc.com
- United Way of Greater Houston: Text UWFLOOD to 41444 or visit here https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood/flood-donation
- American Red Cross: Text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation or visit here https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot
- The Salvation Army: Text STORM to 51555 or visit here https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=27651&mfc_pref=T&27651.donation=form1
- JJ Watt’s Houston Flood Relief Fund: https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053
- If you live in Houston and can safely get out to help I know many places are needing volunteers as well as goods like, baby formula, dog & cat food, bedding, nonperishables, etc. Find your nearest shelter here: http://www.readyharris.org/News-Information/Ready-Harris-News/Post/26641
Thank you to everyone for all your well wishes and love! Keep sending your prayers to Texas and we all thank you for all your efforts and support.